[AccessD] Buttons in spreadsheets

Fri Jan 6 11:20:41 CST 2006

John,

I don't think you can bind a control to a cell in Excel, but take a look at
'Data Validation'. One simple way
to do what you want is this...

First, in some out of the way area of the worksheet, enter TRUE and FALSE in
a couple of cells.
Then select the whole column where you want the users to enter the
true/false datum.
Next on the 'Data' menu select 'Validation'. You'll get a three tab dialog
box. On the Settings tab there is a combo called 'Allow'. Select 'List' from
this combo and then in the 'Source' box below hit the little red-arrow to
select the two cells where you typed TRUE and FALSE, then hit OK.

Now when the users select any cell in the column you just defined data
validation for, they will get a combo button which will allow them to enter
True or False, and nothing else.

HTH

Lambert

-----Original Message-----
From: accessd-bounces at databaseadvisors.com
[mailto:accessd-bounces at databaseadvisors.com] On Behalf Of John Colby
Sent: Friday, January 06, 2006 11:38 AM
To: 'Access Developers discussion and problem solving'
Subject: [AccessD] Buttons in spreadsheets

Is there any way to "drag and drop" a control such a check box onto cells of
a spreadsheet?  IOW, "bind" a checkbox to a cell?

If that can be done, can I do this programmatically?

I am trying to build a spreadsheet which will be attached to an email.  The
spreadsheet will have locked columns where I write info and a pair of
columns where the recipient "checks".  I would like to make the checks an
actual control so that I don't have to depend on them "getting it right".
The spreadsheet is then returned to me for processing.

While we are at it, how do I cause a square area of the spreadsheet to be a
named range?  I have never done this kind of stuff before and don't want to
spend time figuring it out if someone has done it before.

So I open a "template" spreadsheet, add data into two columns - anywhere
from a few to a hundred different rows, two columns.  Attach it to a
spreadsheet and mail it.  When I get it back, I open it, read data out of
two difference columns, looking for True/False (if controls in the cells) or
an X or something similar if no control.