[AccessD] Himachi

Ken Ismert KIsmert at texassystems.com
Fri Jan 6 13:13:25 CST 2006

Jim,

<<John> This is a ... 0.9.9.9 product>

<<Jim> ... I found out a long time ago that it just doesn't pay to be on
that bleeding edge >

Certainly, for commercial, Closed Source code, this is a wise strategy.

But I just want to point out that in Open Source, versions actually Mean
Something. 1.0 for an Open Source product means that the writers say
'this works'. Their reputation and credibility are on the line. Thus,
you see Open Source projects move very slowly to 1.0, with lots of
public testing.

Think of it: this guy has an 800,000 user beta program on this product.
That's larger than the beta team that worked on Windows 2000, IIRC.

Typically, a 1.0 Open Source product is stable, well tested, and works
in a real sense of the word.

Regarding the users who say things like "I had to open all UDP ports on
my firewall to get it to work", that sounds a lot like network newbies
flailing away. Of course, turning off the firewall would get nearly
anything to work. The Hamachi author freely admits that the free version
will work in 97% of cases. The other 3% will require his "pro" version,
that requires dedicated (but still just as secure) third-party
connection hosting (and thus requires a fee). That's his business model,
and that's how he intends to keep on fixing and expanding the product.

-Ken