[AccessD] email validation

Arthur Fuller artful at rogers.com
Sun Jan 8 17:12:23 CST 2006

In terms of validation, that looks more interesting as actual validation...
or perhaps Authentication ought to be the word. To use the terms from Logic
101, various algorithms can prove that any given address is Valid, but
without a Send and either a Receiver or a Bounce then you have no way to
determine if the address is Sound.
I have fought this battle in a couple of web apps and came away with
Validation not Soundness -- less than perfect, to be sure. What I wanted in
those contexts was an event that would immediately attempt to send a message
to the specified address, and holler at the user if it failed, placing the
cursor back in the email field (in case of simple mis-spelling). I never did
come to a correct method of doing this.
Arthur