[AccessD] email validation

Arthur Fuller artful at rogers.com
Sun Jan 8 17:43:39 CST 2006

To be sure you are right, not to mention spam filters. Lots of problems
authenticating an email address. Our site cautions you that our response
might get bounced, and invites you to regard incoming mail from us as cool,
and to tell your spam-filter so before proceeding. But lots of people may
not know how to do this, some people might be suspicious, and so on.
There are no simple solutions, I fear. In a business with unlimited
inventory, this is not really an issue, but in the business to which I
refer, the product was seats to a concert by U2 or somebody, and any delay
at all could cause problems, either for us or for the user. I never did come
up with a cool solution. The whole business premise was that we could
contact you by email, so this was deemed critical. Yes, we also asked for
your phone number, but imagine that there are 24 tickets left to a U2
concert. Relying on you not being on the phone (at work or home) is not an
option. In that situation we have to KNOW we can contact you asap, otherwise
even if we put through the credit card charge, then what... a tough problem.
We eventually came up with something that works most of the time, but it is
far from what I imagined as a perfect solution.
A.