[AccessD] Access97 on W2000 crashes

Andy Lacey andy at minstersystems.co.uk
Tue Jan 10 06:15:06 CST 2006

Well it's not an issue anyway because the MDE route didn't work. I've found
something that does, however, but boy is it weird. I'd really appreciate
some help understanding this.

The following works every time. On the W2K machine I decompile the app. I
then run the app but compile at the start of it with a Syscmd(504, 16483).
It runs perfectly.

However as soon as I exit the app and try to run it again it crashes again.
If I test for IsCompiled and only run the Syscmd if not compiled then the
app skips the syscmd but then crashes in the original area. If I omit the
IsCompiled and just try to run the Syscmd regardless then it crashes on
that.

If I manually compile and save the app then run it from an icon it fails. If
I make an MDE of it, it fails. The *only* way I can get it to run
consistently is as I describe above; decompile, exit, compile on the way in.

What on earth is going on here????? Does anyone have the faintest idea? At
the moment (unless someone knows a way of decompiling with code) the only
solution I can see is to make the icon copy a decompiled version of the MDB
over the 'live' one, then run with that compilation at the start. But as a
regular method of running it sucks. Any help VERY gratefully received.
--
Andy Lacey
http://www.minstersystems.co.uk