[AccessD] is it possible to rename many folders via access?

Gustav Brock Gustav at cactus.dk
Sun Jan 15 12:52:06 CST 2006

Hi Jürgen and Kostas

Right, you have to be careful - you could destroy a complete folder structure with this code if you get something wrong!

Now I recall I have a helper function to get around some of the limitations of Dir.

<code>

Private Declare Function PathIsDirectory Lib "shlwapi.dll" Alias "PathIsDirectoryA" ( _
  ByVal pszPath As String) _
  As Long

Public Function IsDir( _
  ByVal strPath As String) _
  As Boolean

' Returns True if strPath exists.

  Dim stzPath As String

  stzPath = strPath & vbNullChar

  IsDir = CBool(PathIsDirectory(stzPath))

End Function

</code>

Use this and every other error check you can think of, like:

  If IsDate("1/1/" & Val(Mid(strNewName, 2))) Then
  End if

/gustav

>>> jwelz at hotmail.com 15-01-2006 19:28:23 >>>
Gustav is of course correct, you need to pass the  vbDirectory parameter to
Dir in order to include folder names in the search and I had neglected to
include this detail.

Including this parameter allows Dir to return folders, but it does not
restrict return values to folders.  It still returns files.

Gustav's file spec, '*.', parameter ordinarily ensures that only files will
be returned.  However, folders may be given an extension or include a '.'
and these will be excluded by that spec.  Also, this would return file names
that lack an extension.  In Kostas' case this is probably irrelevant since
probably no folder names contain a '.' and there are not likely to be any
files without an extension that would be returned by Dir.

You would want to be sure that your Dir function returns test with IsDate on
a portion of the folder name beyond the 5th character that match a year
between 1900 and 2006 (or IsNumeric).  After all, you wouldn't want Dir to
find a renamed folder and perhaps rename it again ad infinitum, perhaps
scrambling the folder names beyond all recognition.  You need to be sure
your string manipulation recognizes a renamed folder.  I still use instr()
and would test for the location of the first parenthesis.

Ciao
Jürgen Welz
Edmonton, Alberta
jwelz at hotmail.com