[AccessD] Could somebody expand on this a little?

Jim Dettman jimdettman at earthlink.net
Tue Jan 31 07:51:16 CST 2006

  I don't totally agree with Jim's statement.  Again, you need to be
specific with what your trying to do and understand what's going on.

  A pass-through query executes entirely on the BE server.  If I'm simply
trying to fetch records for browsing (ie. open a table or do a simple join
with no filtering), then a pass-through query makes little sense.  But if
I'm doing a complex join, filtering, sorting, etc, then it is a performance
boost to do everything on the server side.

  And if I'm not fetching, but updating or deleting, then they make a lot of
sense.  Using anything else would be silly.

Jim.