[AccessD] Demise of VBA

Hale, Jim Jim.Hale at FleetPride.com
Tue Jul 11 15:35:39 CDT 2006

In my mind VBA has always suffered from a dual personality. On the one hand
when it was shiny and new it was presented as an ideal developer's
environment. On the other it was presented as the ultimate power users Uber
macro language. For power users it promised that "grasshopper, you too can
become a real programmer, maybe even a DEVELOPER!". Since I am first and
foremost a financial professional I have always viewed office and VBA as
tools to an immediate end, the solution of financial/analytical problems.
Immediate problems called for quick and dirty throw away solutions,
repetitive problems called for full blown applications. Over the years as I
have become more proficient and the tools and connections (think ODBC) have
improved it has become possible to generate enormous amounts of analytical
work. I can easily generate the analysis it required my staff of MBAs to do
25 years ago. The lure has always been the promise of vast increases in
personal productivity.  Access/VBA/Excel has been the magic carpet that
allowed data to be obtained and easily manipulated from a vast a variety of
sources. Learning VBA, while not trivial, obviously never had the learning
curve of C+ or .net.   Reading between the lines I think Microsoft once
believed VBA would be embraced much more by power users than it has been. (I
guess this makes me an odd duck but this isn't any startling revelation
;-)). It appears to me Microsoft is moving away from the Power user. I
certainly don't have the time or desire to climb the new learning curve.
The new paradigm is much more of a developer's playground than a power
user's. This is a shame since the core reason I have been a big office/VBA
fan is that it freed individuals from servitude to the IT group and put
power in the hands of the users. Yup, the world is going to hell (grumble,
grumble) and I am going to retreat to my hidey hole in Costa Rica in a year
or so. Ya'll are invited to visit.

Jim Hale