[AccessD] CDOSYS

Stuart McLachlan stuart at lexacorp.com.pg
Tue Jul 18 17:10:36 CDT 2006

On 18 Jul 2006 at 14:09, MartyConnelly wrote:

> By the way some POP3 servers enforce automatic deletion of messages once
> downloaded, there is a command to stop this but it may not be activated. eg.

Not quite.
The way  a  POP3 session is supposed to work is that  the server MUST NOT
delete a message unless.
1. It receives a DELE command on that message and
2. It receives a QUIT instruction at the end of the POP3 session.

However RFC 1939 specifically makes allowance for site policies such as
"messages may only be  downloaded once from the server, and are deleted
after this has been accomplished."   There is no provision in the RFC for
this sort of thing to be a user switched option.

In this case, they still should note be deleted unless the session is
properly terminated with a QUIT command, so if you could set up your mail
client not to issue s QUIT or you always broke the connection before the
session was complete, you could theoretically get around the site policy

> I can't wait for the confusion to start on IMAP and MAPI ;

VBG

--
Stuart