[AccessD] Oracle number changes to Decimal in Access 2k & 2003

O'Connor, Patricia (OTDA) Patricia.O'Connor at otda.state.ny.us
Wed Jul 19 15:55:20 CDT 2006

When you look at the table in ORACLE PL/SQL the datatype is number but
when you look at the description in Access it says number with size as
DECIMAL.  The precision and scale I assume is determined by whether
oracle has it with decimals.  Below is a comparison

Name				ORACLE 	ACCESS 	Access
				Type		Type		size
Precision  	scale
----------------------	-------	--------	-------	---------
-----
RECORD_ID			NUMBER(9)	Number	DECIMAL	 9
0
AREA_CD			VARCHAR2(2)	Text		2
- 		-
CHECK_SEQ_NBR		NUMBER(8)	Number	DECIMAL	 8
0
COST_AMT			NUMBER(8,2)	Number	DECIMAL	 8
2
ADJUSTED_RECORD_ID	NUMBER(9)	Number	DECIMAL	 9
0
RECIPIENT_FEE_AMT		NUMBER(6,2)	Number	DECIMAL	 6
2
REPORT_FROM_MONTH_NBR	DATE		Number	Date/Time	 -
-
RECORD_LINE_NBR		NUMBER(2)	Number	DECIMAL	 2
0

I link to ORACLE 9 and 10G tables using ORACLE ODBC.
Errors occur from this difference. Example export to txt file. Since the
data is linked with read only permission, I have to copy data to an
access table then change the access size to long integer or double then
I can export the data.

Also in the registry I have 3 HOMEx\nls_lang items.   Should these all
be the same? If so, which one is correct?
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\ORACLE\HOME1\NLS_LANG is set to WE8MSWIN1252
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\ORACLE\HOME0\NLS_LANG is to
"AMERICAN_AMERICA.WE8ISO8859P1
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\ORACLE\HOME3\NLS_LANG to
"AMERICAN_AMERICA.WE8ISO8859P1

Would this cause some of the problem above? Is there anything we are
supposed to do to fix this change?

Thank you
* Patricia O'Connor
* Associate Computer Programmer Analyst
* OTDA - BDMA
* (W) mailto:Patricia.O'Connor at otda.state.ny.us
* (w) mailto:aa1160 at nysemail.state.ny.us
This e-mail, including any attachments, may be confidential, privileged or otherwise legally protected. It is intended only for the addressee. If you received this e-mail in error or from someone who was not authorized to send it to you, do not disseminate, copy or otherwise use this e-mail or its attachments.  Please notify the sender immediately by reply e-mail and delete the e-mail from your system.