[AccessD] Secure a DB...kinda?

Jim Dettman jimdettman at earthlink.net
Wed Jul 26 16:03:15 CDT 2006

Mark,

<<Any ideas?>>

 A. Don't use Access.

 B. Use user level security with two different workgroup files.

1. Secure your database completely as normal.
2. Make sure that all permissions to tables are revoked for the Users group
and the Admin user).
3. Grant full permissions to the Admin user and the Users group for all the
objects you want everyone to be able to use.
4. Distribute your application using the default workgroup information file.

   Since there is no password assigned to the Admin user in the default
system.mda/mdw, everyone logs on as Admin and they have only those
permissions you have assigned the Admin user and the Users group.

  For tables, you'll leave off all the permissions and then the only access
to the tables would be through queries with the RWOP (run with owner
permissions) to true.

  This achieves the first objective, but not the second.  They simply will
not have access to the tables.  You'd have to give them your secure
workgroup for them to be able to get at the tables directly.

Jim.