[AccessD] Timestamping, how to digitally sign code to not expire

Gustav Brock Gustav at cactus.dk
Sun Jun 25 04:54:06 CDT 2006

Hi all

Got this tip from the CAcert support list.
I have not tested it myself but it could prove useful.

/gustav

From: Rick Marsh
Email: rick.marsh at datanex.com
Subject: timestamping, how to

Message:
FYI

Simply digitally signing code with a signing certificate works, but it will expire unless timestamped. I have discovered how to timestamp code produced in Microsoft office, in particular Access 2003.

You must modify the registry as follows:

Create the following keys:

HKEY_Current_User\Software\Microsoft\VBA\Security\TimeStampURL (string)

HKEY_Current_User\Software\Microsoft\VBA\Security\TimeStampRetryCount

HKEY_Current_User\Software\Microsoft\VBA\Security\TimeStampRetryDelay

Set the URL to:
 http://timestamp.verisign.com/scripts/timstamp.dll

Note the spelling.

TimeStampRetryCount is a DWORD registry key value that is the number of retries the Visual Basic Editor will attempt to connect to the timestamping server. Try 3.

TimeStampRetryDelay is a DWORD registry key value that is the number of seconds the Visual Basic Editor will delay before retrying a connection to the timestamping server. Try 5.

After you have modified the registry, go on line, remove the signature and re-sign your code. It will have a timestamp.

No response to this message is required.

Rick Marsh
rick.marsh at datanex.com
541 902 9595

CAcert-Support mailing list