[AccessD] Field data type Binary and creation of specific field data type

Stuart McLachlan stuart at lexacorp.com.pg
Sun Jun 4 06:17:41 CDT 2006

On 4 Jun 2006 at 12:10, Gustav Brock wrote:

> Did you know that a Binary field type is available with a length of 510
> bytes?
>
> You might get the idea that it will hold strings of length beyond 255 chars
> but no, it will not. They will be truncated, 255 is still the maximum. It

Strings are store as Unicode and use two bytes each
510 bytes = 255 x 2 byte characters.

> mostly looks like a fixed length "Tiny OLE Object" as it seems to hold a
> fixed length byte array. So what's the purpose if this field type? Or how to
> use it in a way not offered by other data types?

Looks as though it would be useful to store a user-defined type in a single
field.

I'd guess that you could use StrConv(strMyString,vbFromUnicode ) and
StrConv(strMyString,vbUnicode )  with a terminating Null  to store up to
509 character strings in the field and still have ithem searchable/sortable
- although it will probably only sort in ANSI order (case sensitive - all
caps sorting before all lower case).

You could also use it to store up to 4080 bit flags per record. :-)

--
Stuart