[AccessD] OT SMTP Local Server

John W. Colby jwcolby at ColbyConsulting.com
Thu Jun 8 06:44:52 CDT 2006

Borge

I read the email and replies.  It does indeed sound like port 25 blocking.
There are companies out there that sell a workaround, essentially you send
to them on another port and they relay out of their servers on to your mail
server.  No-IP is the one I use.  Setting it up is easy if you have the
instructions in front of you.  It costs a small annual fee but allows you to
set up your laptop and then send / receive your email from anywhere without
"fiddling".

http://www.no-ip.com/services/managed_mail/outbound_port_25_unblock.html

From: accessd-bounces at databaseadvisors.com
[mailto:accessd-bounces at databaseadvisors.com] On Behalf Of pcs at azizaz.com
Sent: Thursday, June 08, 2006 12:49 AM
To: Access Developers discussion and problemsolving
Subject: [AccessD] OT SMTP Local Server

Dear List:

Background: An AccessXP database that along with FMS's Total Access Emailer
creates HTML emails and broadcasts them using an SMTP email server running
on Windows XP Service Pack 1.

I chose to use the third party software Total Access Emailer (TAE), as it
easily enables me to create 'merge mail'
between fields in a table and an HTML Email Master Document and sending out
highly personalized HTML emails.

At home - when accessing internet through my ISP - I have no problem using
the same SMTP on the ISP that I use for my Outlook Express accounts to also
broadcast HTML emails from the access application.

But currently I am not 'at home' - I am in Shanghai, China hooking into the
internet via broadband installed in my stepson's apartment using a WAN
Miniport (PPPOE), a PPP Server Type, TCP/IP transport, PAP authentication,
with No compression and PPP multilink framing set to Off (if that makes any
sense to anyone)

Some findings:
>From my current setup here in Shanghai I can send out emails
from my Outlook Express account using my ISP SMTP Server, provided I use
authentication (same username and password as for the POP3 incoming mail
server) BUT - when I use the same settings on the Access application, I get
'Invalid SMTP Server Settings' error message when attempting to send an
email...

So I think to myself, perhaps it's the SMTP on my ISP - and I try the free
SMTP of Google's Gmail - I setup the Gmail SMTP settings for outgoing emails
on my Outlook Express
account:
SMTP server: smtp.gmail.com.
Port: 465.
Require SSL/STARTTLS: Yes.
Require SMTP authentication: Yes.
User name: your Gmail email address.
Password: your Gmail password.

No problems sending out email from Outlook Express

I use the settings on the Access Application, and instead of giving an
invalid smtp server settings error message, the application just hangs using
all of the cpu .....

At this point, I get on the FMS discussion list and here I find that:
TAE only supports an "open" SMTP Server that allows relaying -
authentication as such is not supported - the Username and Password field on
TAE available for setting up the parameters for the SMTP server to use is
not for that kind of authentication but for something else (whatever that
is!)

BUT, here is the suggested line of action from FMS: Create your OWN local
SMTP server....

I do that following the instructions... and YES! the access application now
behaves just like when at home ....
broadcasting the emails nicely, easy and quickly..... I am happy as can
be... having spent all of a good rainy Shanghai day on this problem....

BUT   :(
when I check my inbox to see the actual proof sitting there, there is
nothing!!

HERE IS THE PROBLEM:
The emails ends up in the QUEUE Folder of C:\Inetpub\mailroot and there they
apparantly sit forever....
Each email has the following type of files there:
NTFS_7e9d2b4001c68a9e0000000c.EML.STM   (type HTML document)
NTFS_7e9d2b4001c68a9e0000000c.EML   (type: Internet E-Mail
Message)
NTFS_7e9d2b4001c68a9e0000000c.EML.STL (type: Certificate Trust List)

Now, the first two are created immediately, and the  third after a little
while.
Periodically the Certificate Trust List file gets it Date Modified Datestamp
updated

[[Also from having a look at the SMTP Logfile, I learn that when using TAE
for every email broadcast the code adds an email to
taemailersample at fmsinc.com (with from address being the same). Although this
is - according to the support peope of FMS - only for testing the relay
capability the data contained in the STM part gives cause for concern....]]

Question:
What do I need to do in order to get the local SMTP server to work properly?
I have followed instructions for how to install a local SMTP server closely.
Particularly, on the Default SMTP Server Properties, General tab page for
the IP Address I have three options:
(All Unassigned)
10.0.0.8  (the local computer, yes?)
218.82.191.35 (the dynamically assigned IP address by the broadband provider
- it changes from session to session)

When using 10.0.0.8 or (All Unassigned) it works, in the sense that the
emails end up the QUEUE folder :( When using the dynamic IP address, I get
an error or the application just hangs...

Would the problem have anything to do with missing Certificate Authority??

Or that I am not using the NTFS file structure on the harddrive?? (well,
....)

Or?

Any and all responses appreciated, thanks!

regards
borge