[AccessD] ADO Save recordset format adPersistADTG

MartyConnelly martyconnelly at shaw.ca
Wed Jun 14 19:40:52 CDT 2006

Well this is all mysts of time stuff and my eyeballs start rolling
from having to learn XSL methods then have to completely forget them
as they were superceded.

If I remember the XML format is actually called XML Data Reduced. However
when this first came out, Microsoft never clarified it, So people referred
to it as ADTG XML. Hence the confusion. It produces the data in
Reduced Data Schema format with the nice rs:data and z:row stuff.

This was around the time of ADO 2.1 and XML parser 2.1
Then came XSL and then XSLT files to convert this XML XDR format
to flat XML with no schema embedded.

Finally around 2000 W3C came out with the XML Schema standard.
and MS added it to their XML 3.1 parser.
So you will see xml schema files with the xdr or xsd extensions.
A lot of this is due to wrangles with the W3C and Microsoft.
with MS trying to implement their own standards before W3C.

Moving forward in time SQL 2000 (XML RAW) produces an XML document
that is analogous to that produced by the
ADODB.Recordset.Save adPersistXML approach
This allows only 2D XML or single tables

Auto mode (for XML AUTO) is capable of automatically generating an XML
document
based on the number and order of the tables and the join strategy
employed in the FROM clause of the SELECT statement

See the performance stats for comparision of using xml
versus ADO a factor of 4 to 12 difference for xml
and the use of updategrams that use XSD mapping schemas

http://msdn.microsoft.com/msdnmag/issues/02/01/sqlxml/

--
Marty Connelly
Victoria, B.C.