[AccessD] Frameworks

Jim Dettman jimdettman at earthlink.net
Mon Jun 26 08:37:56 CDT 2006

Stuart,

  FMS, Inc had their Total Access Source Book product, which I think for
Access is more of the way to go rather then a "traditional" framework.  It
was a series of pre-written routines that you could pick and choose from.
Between that and the code included with the ADH, I've had just about
everything I've ever needed.  I have rolled a few of my own services, such
as John's sysvar deal (mine is SetAppConfigValue/GetAppConfigValue) and the
openargs parameter passing, error handler etc, but they have been few and
far between as most of the features in Access have replaced the need for
doing things on my own.

  Although with that said, Access has come a long way and is now at the
point where it probably could benefit from some of the things you might find
in a framework (ie. pre-defined control classes).

  Part of the problem with doing a Framework in Access is really getting at
the guts of the thing.  John's discussion of multi-form instances is case in
point.  It would be a great service to add to a framework/utility code, but
there is no easy way to do it. The only method I can think of is to generate
a module with calls for every possible form or do it on the fly (which is
going to decompile your project).

  It might be worth the time to run down a comprehensive list of features
developers might like to see in a framework, how they would be implemented
in Access, and then how they could be provided/delivered to be as flexible
as possible.  I think by the end of the that process, you'd end up with more
of a toolbox collection rather then a Framework, but that's tough to say.

Jim.