[AccessD] Excel to Access Help Needed

tewald at wowway.com tewald at wowway.com
Thu Mar 9 13:35:57 CST 2006

I am converting an Excel-based system to Access; in other words, flat-file to
relational.

The main data entry Excel worksheet has data unique to the work order on the
top, followed by a list of several systems that could possibly be affected by
the work order; each system is listed on the form, and the user determines
which ones are needed. Each system, in turn, has several ways (all have the
same ways) in which it could be affected.

Think of the lower portion as like this (in this example, Name = system):

Name:     Mary     John     Alex     Theresa
Gender:    F         M        M          F
Age:       55        35       34        26
Needed:    N         Y        N          Y

And then more categories.

Now, I have a main table for the information at the top of the form. I have
another table that includes the individual systems (names) and all of the
categories (in the example above, that would be gender, age and needed), as
well as a foreign key to the main table, so I can keep track of which work
order contained which information. Not the best example above, I suppose,
because logically gender and age would stay the same (well, gender, anyway);
in the real table, that data changes with each work order, and not all of the
systems (names) will be needed each time.

I would like to present the users with a form similar to the Excel
spreadsheet they’re used to, so I’d like to have it look like the example
above. I’m drawing a blank. I hope I’ve explained this well enough.

I’d appreciate any help. I’d also appreciate your not telling my wife that I
told you her age. ;-)

TIA,

Tom Ewald