[AccessD] Table naming conventions

Thu Mar 2 09:38:08 CST 2006

All I'm really saying is that the Access user interface allows you to select
an object in the database window by typing the initial letter. Type 'D' and
the interface will jump to the first object in the list that starts with a
D. Type D again to jump to the next one. That's why I use suffixes instead
of prefixes. If you have a common prefix for your objects, you lose this
handy navigation feature.

Lambert

-----Original Message-----
From: accessd-bounces at databaseadvisors.com
Sent: Thursday, March 02, 2006 10:08 AM
To: 'Access Developers discussion and problem solving'
Subject: Re: [AccessD] Table naming conventions

I don't think using prefixes with the actual objects is terribly important
-- I think a lot of people lend toward natural names for objects and use the
prefixes for variables.

Susan H.

Not read all this, but one point I want to make is "why are people obsessed
with PREFIXES?"

I use the "_tbl" SUFFIX in my table names. Why? So that when I sort the list
of tables I can use the initial letter of the table name to quickly jump to
it using the keyboard. If they all begin with "tbl" you cannot do that.
Simple. :-)