[AccessD] Access 2K to Excel changes field format

A.D.TEJPAL adtp at airtelbroadband.in
Thu Mar 9 23:43:02 CST 2006

Patricia,

    It is observed that if all characters preceding the letter D in a text string are numeric digits, Excel interprets D as a mathematical qualifier, leading to the problem faced by you. Placing a space as first character in this string does not work. On the other hand, single quote at start of the string does reproduce the contents faithfully, but the single quote remains visible in Access report as well as in Excel, a situation you find not quite ideal.

    It is found that if the stream of numeric digits preceding D is interrupted by placing a space, hyphen or underscore just before D, the string gets reproduced faithfully in Excel. Typical samples:
    (a) 66007974120 D01
    (b) 66007974120-D01
    (c) 66007974120_D01

    If your situation permits adoption of any of the revised patterns (a to c) above, it would give you proper match between the Access report  and Excel output.

Best wishes,
A.D.Tejpal