[AccessD] Access XP forms bound to ADO recordsets

Shamil Salakhetdinov shamil at users.mns.ru
Mon Mar 13 03:55:03 CST 2006

Hi All,

I did contact Steve Jorgensen on the subject - here are his answers reposted
here with his permission:

<+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
> I wanted to ask you: Did you broadly use this method in real life
> development since the summer 2002? Was it a success story or it
> happened to
> have side-effects, which can't be effectively worked around?
Alas, over time I've found that using Access with disconencted
recordsets is simply too unreliable to use.  It can seem to work for a
short time, but almost anything you try do to the recordset from code
after creating it will cause Access to crash shortly after the recordset
is bound to the form.  Even without touching the recorodset from code,
Access frequently crashes.  I've given up on the technique as a
practical tool.

> May I post this your information in AccessD discussion list?
> Do you have a sample app, which shows how MS Access crashes with forms
> bound to disconnected recordsets?
Yes - of course you may re-post it.  As for an example app, no I don't
have one at hand as all the code I wrote to do this has long since been
discarded.  I can tell you, however, that I had the problems with both
Access 2002 and 2003, and they were serious.  Access 2000 actually was
more reliable, but that's becoming an antique and has other reliability
issues in client/server applications.

This is a serious warning to not use this technique in real life
applications.

But as I wrote recently I so far didn't see any MS Access crashes while
using MS Access 2003 forms bound to ADODB recordsets.

I will try to find time to prepare stress test and to run it for several
hours...

Shamil