[AccessD] Access XP forms bound to ADO recordsets

Shamil Salakhetdinov shamil at users.mns.ru
Mon Mar 13 08:54:54 CST 2006

> Perhaps it is time for other influentials (you and I and this list) to
> revisit this feature and see if it can be used now?
Yes, John, we may try to do that together with AccessD group.
But we may get stack trying to find how to use it without MS Access
crashing.
Please take that into account before proceeding with this risky
(ad)venture - I do have a simple crash test here already based on Northwind
sample and MS SQL database. And it does do crash MS Access 2003 well when
working with MS SQL backends.
And I do think I know why. And for this problem there seems exisiting a
simple workaround.
But I have to test it more. And it seems to always work well for MS Access
2003 backend.

Yes, I see I use "seems" to often - I'm still unsure it will work stable.

And of course some things have to be programemd differently - e.g. Pivot
forms do not work at all, or using built-in delete have to be worked around
differently than it's usually done with bound forms. Reports work only with
ADPs - the trick is to use empty disconnected ADPs....

It does crash when MS SQL 2000 is a back-end and THIS IS IMPORTANT - when
VBA code is used to assign controls' values - this is exactly what Steve
experienced. But there exists a simple workaround as far as I noted above.

I did try the crash test with empty ADP FE as well - the same effect: it
works well with MDB backends and crashes with MS SQL 2000 backends when
setting control values in code without workaround....

Today is Monday, the 13th, I don't know how there on the West but here in
Russia, Monday, the 13th is considered as not good day to work - maybe
Access crashes because of that :)

I will publish the crash test and teh code tomorrow.
I have to do some real life work today.

Everybody interested to find workarounds for other problems to come  are
very welcome! Please make back-ups of your Northwind MS SQL 2000
sample database...

Maybe we together can talk directly to MS Access Team
(http://blogs.msdn.com/access/) to force them to make this feature working
stable without any workarounds at least in MS Access 12? Probabilty is
low but it's worth trying I think?

Shamil