[AccessD] MS Access 2003/XP - Upsizing Wizard

MartyConnelly martyconnelly at shaw.ca
Thu Mar 16 15:15:44 CST 2006

Some notes and links for Upsizing to SQL 2000 and 2005

There is a problem which occurs when your Access database and the
instance of SQL
Server do not exist on the same computer. More so with Express because
of TCP  and firewalls.
Avoid if possible.

See blurb further down for fix on SQL 2000, and the Express forums post
for SQL Express fix.

How to use data transformation services (DTS) to export data from a
Microsoft Access database to an SQL Server database
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;285829
Note: DTS is replaced in SQL 2005 by SSIS and is also not available for
Express install.

Access 2003 troubleshoot upsize wizard

http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/assistance/HP030894261033.aspx
http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/assistance/CH062526781033.aspx

Access 2002 troubleshoot upsize wizard

Access 2003 Database Upgrade to SQL Server 2005

http://forums.microsoft.com/MSDN/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=128444&SiteID=1

Different Machine SQL 2000 upsize problem.

This problem occurs when your Access database and the instance of SQL
Server do not exist on the same computer.
WORKAROUND
To work around this problem, use a File DSN to connect to your instance of
SQL Server when you upsize your Access database. To do this, follow these
steps:
Start Access.
Open the problem database.
On the Tools menu, point to Database Utilities, and then click Upsizing
Wizard.
In the Upsizing Wizard dialog box, click Use existing database, and then
click Next.
In the Select Data Source dialog box, select the appropriate DSN to connect
to your instance of SQL Server on the File Data Source tab.
Click OK.
Enter the appropriate authentication information to connect to your
instance of SQL Server if the SQL Server Login dialog box appears.

Follow the instructions in the Upsizing Wizard.

Notice that the Access database is successfully upsized without any errors.
MORE INFORMATION
Steps to reproduce the problem
Start Access.
Open the Northwind.mdb sample database.
On the Tools menu, point to Database Utilities, and then click Upsizing
Wizard.
In the Upsizing Wizard dialog box, click Use existing database, and then
click Next.
In the Select Data Source dialog box, select the appropriate DSN to connect
to your instance of SQL Server on the Machine Data Source tab.
Click OK.
Enter the appropriate authentication information to connect to your
instance of SQL Server if the SQL Server Login dialog box appears.

Notice that you receive the error messages that are mentioned in the
"Symptoms" section, and you cannot continue the upsizing process.