[AccessD] Help Files

Bruce H. Johnson bhjohnson at verizon.net
Sat Mar 18 09:10:35 CST 2006

I've done Help for years. You will need a Help Authoring Tool or HAT; here's
a link to a comparison of the various tools:
http://www.helpstuff.com/downloads/tools.pdf

Depending on how your application is distributed, e.g., stand-alone,
networked users etc., you would generally try to use the appropriate output
type. There is:
- Traditional Help, both stand-alone and context-sensitive in the form of
.hlp files.
- Compiled HTML Help, stand-alone and context-sensitive as .chm files
- Web-based help which produces HTML pages for a central server. Each HAT
tends to have its own brand of this.

Most HATs will produce all three types, plus frequently printed output.

You can also check out sourceforge.net (open-source); they may have
something for no cost.

Some HATs are Word-based, such as RoboHelp (now going by the wayside),
others on Frame, and others with their own input/source methods. Most
anything using .chm or web-based uses a custom input editor of some sort.

Bruce H. Johnson
Sylmar, CA