[AccessD] 2003 over 64 bit

Tue Mar 21 11:39:27 CST 2006

Have you disabled subdatasheets? Another 'feature' that slows things down.

See
http://www.sicem.biz/personal/erny/msaccess
http://www.sicem.biz/personal/erny/msaccess/TurnOffSubsheets
http://www.computerbooksonline.com/tips/access7.asp

Lambert

-----Original Message-----
From: accessd-bounces at databaseadvisors.com
[mailto:accessd-bounces at databaseadvisors.com] On Behalf Of Steve Capistrant
Sent: Tuesday, March 21, 2006 11:44 AM
To: Access Developers discussion and problem solving
Subject: [AccessD] 2003 over 64 bit

Hi folks.
I'm stuck, and have had no luck casting about the internet for an answer...
Last week I had to upgrade my PC when the motherboard melted.  The new one
carries Access 2003 running over the Windows 64 bit version.

Problem: Some of my old apps (built in Access 2000) are taking 20 minutes to
load.  Gives all appearances of hanging, with 100% RAM utilization during
that time, but EVENTUALLY it swallows whatever big bite it was trying to
take.  Note that 2003 will open 2000 apps and edit them without forcing you
to upgrade their format to 2003.

The loading problem doesn't happen to all my mdbs.  Seems to happen after a
session where I make some coding changes.

Other tidbits:
~ I've got all the nasty defaults disabled (autocorrect, auto name change,
etc). ~ The old apps have DAO references (no ADO) ~ After any coding
session, I compile and compact.

Ideas?

Steve Capistrant
Symphony Information Services