[AccessD] Access XP forms bound to ADO recordsets

Shamil Salakhetdinov shamil at users.mns.ru
Wed Mar 22 12:45:07 CST 2006

>I am ashamed to even raise my hand given that I was the one that asked if
> this was possible and prompted your working on this,
No problem, John, you "switched on" an interesting topic and an advanced
open source project, which I do think will bring useful for real work
result - in fact one such result is here already (see below)

> Do we know what allowed him to get past the 2010 barrier,
>  what the barrier is?
Here is a lucky environment where the test passed 2700 cycles with 2700
defined as a max value i.e. it passed all the cycles OK.
<+
Windows XP Pro SP2,
Microsoft Access 2003 SP2,
all other service packs are the latest,
ADO 2.8.
Hardware is IBM ThinkCentre with dual P4 3.2 GHz, 512 mb ram.
->

<+
Backend:       MS Access
Binding:       ADODB
Cycles to pass: 2700
Cycles passed: 2700
Total errors: 0
Forms opened:  13500
Start time:    3/21/2006 4:04:06 PM
End time:      3/21/2006 5:19:49 PM

Object statistics:
ClassName = CTestForm, Created = 6, Disposed = 6
ClassName = CFormDataset, Created = 97337, Disposed = 97337
->

I will publish/post with pleasure the name of this lucky man/early
adopter/great helping hand when I will get his permission.

And I think the first three developers (or more?) will do deserve honorable
mention on AccessD web-site in the next issue of Database Advisors Gazette -
what about that?

Anybody courageous soul to first reach 10000 cycles working OK - just put
your PC crunching this test  over week end if you have the "lucky
environment". The memory consumption isn't high - when I get it stopped on
~2010 cycle MS Access has only 32MB in use - almost nothing for nowadays
systems....

This is a really hardcore case and if solved it will be useful for all I
think because it will define the safest current MS Access 2003 environment.

It would be interesting to know how and why it comes that exactly around
2010 cycle the test breaks on MS Access 2003 SP1 but the answer can be
obtained probably from MS Access development team only and the hopes to get
this answer are currently low because they are busy working on MS Access 12
Beta 2 release...

Shamil

>I am ashamed to even raise my hand given that I was the one that asked if
> this was possible and prompted your working on this, and then haven't even
> had time to test.  But...
>
> Do we know what allowed him to get past the 2010 barrier, what the barrier
> is?
>
> And I will be testing this as I have a use for it in real life.
>
> John W. Colby
> www.ColbyConsulting.com

<<< tail skipped >>>