[AccessD] Splitting up names

Charlotte Foust cfoust at infostatsystems.com
Thu May 11 18:08:48 CDT 2006

What I used to do about this what use split to break the names up, then
dim a dynamic array with 5 dimensions that I used to hold Salutation,
FirstName, MiddleName, LastName, Title.  I examined the last item in the
split array and if it was Jr, Sr, III, PhD, DDS, etc. and if so put it
into the dynamic(4).  Then I looked at the first item in the split to
see if it was a salutation like Mr, Mrs, Dr, etc. and if so, I put it
into dynamic(0).  If there was no salutation or title, the first word
(or the first after the salutation) went into firstname and the last
went into lastname, with anything left over going into middlename.  That
was handled by code--then I reviewed it all and made manual corrections.
I was working with huge mailing lists at the time, so anything that
reduced the need to manually split 50,000+ names was a huge benefit.

Charlotte Foust