[AccessD] Foxpro

Jim Dettman jimdettman at earthlink.net
Thu May 18 05:59:45 CDT 2006

Francisco,

  VFP is pretty much like Access; a "default" database engine that is
integrated with VFP.  It is considerably faster then JET. Processing is
client based.

  VFP can also use BE database engines such as mySQL, SQL Server, etc. using
remote views or the cursor adapter.  This is where the VFP community is now.
Most, except for small apps, don't use the default engine any more as this
moves them to client/server computing.

  Overall, VFP and Access share similar overall concepts, but with VFP,
there is just about nothing you can't fiddle with.  It has a richer event
model and the programming language has more features and commands, and of
course VFP is totally OOP based.

   The data environment for forms is something I'd kill for in Access.  On
the down side; the query designer does not work as well as Access's and the
report engine I feel is weaker (although you can do a drill down report if
you want to).  Then there are some just plain weird ways to do things, like
adding a column to a grid control, or changing the text of a label on a
report.

  VFP started as a DOS based tool and it shows.  Most developers skip the
visual aspect and make heavy use of the command window.  As a result, the
visual design tools are not up to what they should be.

  Overall much more of a developers tool then Access.  STEEP learning curve;
figure on using it for a year at least before you'll be somewhat proficient.
Also, use of a framework of some type is almost a given.

Jim.