[AccessD] Installing SBS2003 - was [dba-SQLServer] What is going on

JWColby jwcolby at colbyconsulting.com
Thu Nov 2 09:16:06 CST 2006

Well, nothing ever goes as planned.  I own SBS 2003.  I started the install
which proceeded as smoothly as any of this ever does, which means plenty of
"the F6 floppy doesn't work, but it doesn't say that, so spend an hour
figuring that out, find the driver on the internet etc.", and "oh I need an
active network controller, and what do you mean you have to install a driver
disk (right in the middle of the install) to give me that" etc.

In the meantime, it gets to some screen where it just informs me that it is
installing active directory.

>As you are not going, right at the start, into Active Directory (workgroups
will work fine), installing Server2003 is as simple as installing XP.

So now it appears that I AM installing active directory, whether I need or
want it or not.  So (from your email) perhaps the install will NOT be as
easy as installing XP?

I am doing a dual boot, installing SBS2003 to the raid 6 D: drive (might as
well use this raid stuff to make the system install more fault tolerant).

I just got to a screen where it is asking me what components I want, things
like server tools, exchange server, fax service.  So what do I need, and
will it "just install" or will it ask me questions which I am not prepared
to answer?

William, you are the one always touting how great SBS is.  Any words of
wisdom on this?

Man I hate this crap!

John W. Colby
Colby Consulting