[AccessD] Create object

JWColby jwcolby at colbyconsulting.com
Mon Nov 20 16:43:46 CST 2006

Interesting idea but I just tested it and I can open and close them
independently.  They truly seem to be separate instances of the program.  Of
course who really knows.  Anytime you open something with:

CreateObject("FTP.API")

Who knows what is really going on.  It certainly LOOKS like Word.Document or
Excel.Sheet where FTP.API is some kind of object of FTP that is exposed for
manipulation.  There are two "objects" that are in the list of things that
can be referenced.  One is 3dFTP.DLL, described as "3D-FTP Transfer Engine
Com Object".  However the properties and methods of that don't match the
API.  It LOOKS like it could be programmed to directly.  I referenced it and
can see the methods and properties.

The other object in the list of referencable objects is called FTP - and is
the 3DFTP.EXE.  Even though I can set a reference to the EXE I can't dim an
object as that, I get an immediate compile error.

So what exactly the .API is, or is a property of remains a mystery.

WHOA, I found it!  If I reference the 3DFTP.exe (as FTP in the reference
list), and then dim an object as FTP.API, I get ahold of the API and can see
exactly and only the API methods.

Unfortunately this still doesn't get me anywhere since I am again not
getting a pointer to the EXE but apparently just an object inside of the
EXE.

And I still can't programmatically cause a new instance of the EXE to open.

John W. Colby
Colby Consulting