[AccessD] Record Maximum

Gary Kjos garykjos at gmail.com
Tue Oct 31 10:18:42 CST 2006

I have an application that has a couple gigabytes of data in it. It's
a single user database though. Multiple use it but they each have
their own copy. I think there are f people using it now. It's a
database of extracted Oracle database info relating to customer orders
that our marketing people do queries against. It used to be in a
regular front end back end configuration - until there got to much
data for that. I split the backend into seperate databases for each of
the large tables and that has worked pretty well for the past several
years now. Occaisionally we have to purge some older order detail
records but it's about a once  a year thing. The Customer Master Table
in this database has almost 5 million records. My local copy of the
application has orders in it since the first of January 2006 and has
about 4 million rows in that table/database. We have about 500,000
item records in the item table. The customer phone number table has
about 3.5 million rows in it. The Customer database is about 500 MB
and the order database about 600Mb but I know the users have order
databases over a gigabyte. All together it's about a two gigabyte
application - depending on how many orders you keep. The users seem to
love it. They prefer querying order data in this database to the
native Oracle data or into a SQL Server version of the extracted data.
I have prebuilt queries that they are able to tweak buy adding rows to
"select tables" that are then joined into select queries to select
orders for all the customers in a list of states or zip codes or a
specific list of customers or items or coupon codes. They get flags
indicating if the customer is a new customer - with the customer add
date being the same date as the order date.  This was originally
created 6 years ago before we had the Oracle source system and was
updated to extract from the Oracle system after we converted to using
that for our main application system.

GK