[AccessD] Error Code Generator

Fri Sep 22 12:56:47 CDT 2006

"Why is it better to embed the error routine in the particular proc or
func". Lot's of reasons, not least of which is:

Because the person who codes a proc/func is in the best position to
determine what action should be taken with which specific error codes, and
it only makes sense the do this in the routine that errored - for one thing
the error handler will have access to all the local variables and parameters
that the routine uses.

Because to write a routine that would know what to do with all x thousand
errors in any code that any programmer ever wrote in any application would
be up for the psychic coder of the century award. :-)

Lambert

-----Original Message-----
From: accessd-bounces at databaseadvisors.com
[mailto:accessd-bounces at databaseadvisors.com] On Behalf Of artful at rogers.com
Sent: Friday, September 22, 2006 1:33 PM
To: Access Developers discussion and problem solving
Subject: Re: [AccessD] Error Code Generator

I didn't write it, but it raises a question that I have wondered about for a
while. Why is it better to embed the error routine in the particular proc or
func than to write one global error handler and pass it the text and perhaps
the proc/func name, so there's only one error handler in the whole app? I
never did understand this. Can anyone provide some insight?

Arthur