[AccessD] WANs and Access

McGillivray, Don [IT] Donald.A.McGillivray at sprint.com
Thu Apr 5 13:00:44 CDT 2007

Rocky,

I have an app (not a commercial app - just something to support my users in their jobs) that runs on a server located in California, and my users (in California, Kansas, and Florida) connect via terminal services (Remote Desktop Connection) over our company's WAN.  FE and BE reside on the server, and each user gets a new instance of the FE in his/her TS.  My user count is usually <= 10, and the user experience is nearly the same as if the app were running as a FE/BE on their workstation.  When I connect from home, via VPN over a DSL connection, the response is nearly the same as when I'm at my desk at work.  Even via dialup, it's slower, but not so slow that I go crazy.

Don't know whether this strategy is appropriate to your situation, but may be worth a look see.

Don