[AccessD] New database design for MS SQL

Michael Maddison michael at ddisolutions.com.au
Mon Apr 9 21:07:15 CDT 2007

Hmmm,

Sounds very close to www.nettiers.com
Definitely worth a look for those using VS 2005.

cheers

Michael M

Eeek! How on earth would I do that??

I can explain that we use a data tier that abstracts the actual data
structures by building "entity" classes that implement a typeddataset
for that data entity and interface classes that define what the data
providers will expose for the entity.  The entity/typeddataset can
address and manipulate a single table or multiple related tables
simultaneously.  We use an OleDbProvider project that houses the SQL (in
XML files) and code classes specific to a related group of tables and
their children.  The entity classes call into the data provider classes,
so the code to do a particular thing (i.e., get the next ID number for a
particular table for a particular set of parameters) is in a single
location.

We build "business rules" into the entity classes that take care of
things like returning an exception if a record is being deleted and
there are related records that need to be deleted or reassigned.  We
also use them to cascade changes/deletions/insertions to tables where it
can't be done automatically.  For instance, when we create a new Well
record, the data tier automatically creates and initial wellBore record
and doesn't allow the user to delete that wellbore except by deleting
the well.  Someday, if I ever find the time, I'm going to try modelling
this in Access!

Any questions?? LOL

Charlotte Foust