[AccessD] My nemesis - ODBC Connections

Billy Pang tuxedoman888 at gmail.com
Thu Apr 19 17:59:41 CDT 2007

how often does the odbc error message come up?  what does the error message
say?  because login box pops up, if possible, i'd use profiler or server
side traces to monitor the logins and logouts.  if there is invalid login
attempts made by the application, maybe the connection info is being drop
upon reestablishing the db connection.

On 4/18/07, John Skolits <askolits at ot.com> wrote:

> I've been having ODBC issues with SqlServer for, what seems to be,
> forever.
> On different servers, different PCs, different OS. This week has been
> particularly bad. It could have something to do with some updates my
> customer is putting on his server, but even so, it's an issue that had
> bugged me for years. Maybe someone can shed some light on this.
>
> Access 2K and SQLServer 2000:
>
> What seems to happen is when I develop an app on my PC and relink to
> SQLServer using Accces, my app works fine. When I give it to others,
> sometimes the app works and sometime it gives me an ODBC error. Usually
> after the error, it comes up with the SQL Server login box and the after
> entering login info. It's fine. If they restart, same issue. But it's very
> inconsistent. I can then go back and relink again on my PC and give it to
> them again. Sometimes that actually fixes it, yet I didn't do anything
> different than I did before.
>
> I initially link using a DSN Filename, but after linking my guess is the
> DSN
> file is no longer used since I can usually install the app on a new PC
> without putting the DSN on their PC. When I look at the linked table's
> properties it shows the connection string without the DSN name. Which
> makes
> sense since it's not using the DSN for a connection, but the imbedded
> string
> instead.
>
> Does all this make sense. Can someone explain what's going on? Why I'm
> having all these problems? Is there a fix?? Help!!!!
>
> John Skolits

Billy Pang
http://dbnotes.blogspot.com/
"Once the game is over, the King and the pawn go back in the same box." -
Italian proverb