[AccessD] Cool stuff - was RE: using a dtsx in .Net

JWColby jwcolby at colbyconsulting.com
Fri Apr 20 22:18:06 CDT 2007

ROTFL.  Yea, I kinda thought so.

I have so little patience with ...  uh...  Stupidity.

On another more positive note, I watched a virtual lab tonight - part of the
Visual Studio 2005.  This lab is "using worker threads in VB.Net to make
your application more responsive to the user".  It is really cool, but as it
turns out, the demo they use is also exactly what I was looking for - a
directory watcher which is a com object that can be used from VB6.  Now to
be honest, I don't do VB6 but it looks like this might also be usable from
VBA.  It is a referencable object that sources events, and may allow me to
do directory watching from inside of Access - WITHOUT having to use a timer
on a form.  How cool would that be?

VB.Net is really a cool thing; Too bad I don't understand it better.  I have
to say though that having done the class stuff I do in Access, I absolutely
do understand everything they are talking about in this demo, I just don't
understand all the syntax (couldn't write it myself).  It is so strange
though, just today I was looking for code to "watch a directory for files"
and here it is.  Even better, the lab counts towards getting the free copy
of Visual Studio 2005.

So much to learn, so little time.

John W. Colby
Colby Consulting