[AccessD] using a saved SSIS with VB.Net

JWColby jwcolby at colbyconsulting.com
Tue Apr 24 07:11:33 CDT 2007

Gustav,

I found a syntax for SQL Server that, executed directly, allows me to do the
import from inside of SQL Server.

SELECT *
FROM
OPENROWSET( 'MSDASQL',
		'Driver=(Microsoft Text Driver (*.txt, *.csv));
		DEFAULTDIR=d:\YadaYada;Extensions=CSV;',
		'SELECT * FROM NAR_CA1N.CSV')

This syntax directly opens a dataset, which can then be fed into an INSERT
statement as the "data clause".

It works, I have done so.  I have no idea how fast it is, but not
particularly I suspect.  One thing I have to go do is look at the log files
and see if I need to turn off logging.

Another thing I need to do is TURN OFF the windows updates, which rebooted
my machine in the middle of the night last night!!!  If I have no logging, I
certainly don't want Windows rebooting itself in the middle of an import.

>though probably not so fast as MySQL can load data (see my previous post):
50k records/s

What are you suggesting with this?  That I set up MySQL on this machine just
to do the imports and then import the data out of MySQL into SQL Server?  It
seems that with as many problems as I have getting up to speed on SQL Server
I am doubling my problems trying to install another entire database server
and learn it as well.  I understand that you know and love MySQL but I am
pretty certain I have enough problems already without adding MySQL to my
plate.

John W. Colby
Colby Consulting