[AccessD] OT a little - Code Tables

Arthur Fuller fuller.artful at gmail.com
Tue Apr 24 10:55:07 CDT 2007

For those who care about theory, this model is a definite no-no. A table
(relation) is a collection of like entities, and since there is no
observable penalty for the number of tables (unless it goes into the
thousands), then IMO it is asinine, not to mention theoretically unsound, to
use one table for several purposes.

Assuming that you choose the one-table route, then you must create views or
UDFs to isolate the collection of interest. Given the overhead involved in
doing that (and the more rows, the more overhead), what do you gain by
stuffing a bunch of unlike entities into a single table?

The whole idea IMO is incoherent and self-defeating.

My $.02.
Arthur