[AccessD] Dot Net, where to start?

Shamil Salakhetdinov shamil at users.mns.ru
Fri Apr 27 11:15:52 CDT 2007

Hi Gustav,

AFAIU Arthur means MS SQL 2000 or 2005 Reporting Services - correct Arthur?
The VS2005 IDE designer for report running via these services seems to be
available in VS2005 Standard Edition:
http://msdn2.microsoft.com/ru-ru/vstudio/aa700921.aspx

I'd think Crystal Reports is more powerful (more feature rich I mean) than
MS SQL Reporting Services but I must say I just played a little bit with MS
SQL 2000 Reporting Services and I have never used this technology in real
life development and therefore I can be wrong in what I'm telling here about
it (Arthur please correct me) unlike CR, which I used in real life projects
and yes, it was RPITA to get on speed with it after MS Access but as I noted
already I think CR is more powerful and flexible report designer/engine than
MS Access...

Of course it all depends on task to be developed - in some cases MS Acecss
reporting is all you need. But if you aim at many deployment scenarios of
your reporting solutions then CR is one of the best. I have heard (and
Charlotte approves that here) that Active Reports is also very good (I did
"touch" it one time in the past - and it looked more easy to start with it
than with CR but my customer was "CR-infected" therefore I was forced to
work with CR)...

--
Shamil