[AccessD] Printing an Access Report from ASP.Net solution

Michael Maddison michael at ddisolutions.com.au
Mon Apr 30 02:20:55 CDT 2007

Hi Lonnie,

No one seems to have responded so I'll give you my inexpert opinion...

The easy part is using Automation to fire up Access and run the report,
this is a server side function.

The hard part is printing to the users printer.  This is fundamentally
not a server side operation.
How many web sites actually print to your printer?  Short answer...
None.  Not without downloading and installing
an active-x control or similar.

So, I would recommend using Crystal Rpts for the report.  Use the CR
viewer control and let them print it if they want.
BTW I dislike CR but in the .net world it is the most straightforward
solution sometimes.

If you must use Access them maybe output as a snapshot and let the user
download and print.
Messy.  Also if you have a lot of traffic I doubt you'd want a whole
bunch of Access instances clogging up the works
on your web server ;-)

HTH

cheers

Michael M

Subject: [AccessD] Printing an Access Report from ASP.Net solution

Is there a way to use an Access  database report in an asp.net solution?

I have a report that is pretty complicated, I want to be able to use
some type of automation and send the report object to the user's printer
from an asp.net 2.0 application.

Thanks in advance.

May God bless you beyond your imagination!
Lonnie Johnson
ProDev, Professional Development of MS Access Databases Visit me at ==>
http://www.prodev.us