[AccessD] Coordinating use of space on report

Steve Schapel miscellany at mvps.org
Fri Aug 3 16:24:54 CDT 2007

Hi.  I would appreciate any bright ideas on a very specific requirement.

On a report, I have a strictly limited width for some data.  This data
is in 2 fields.  The data in the left field will be left aligned, and
the data in the right field can be right aligned.  It's the name of a
sports team, and their score in a competition.

The number of characters in the score can vary quite a bit.  It could be
like any of these:
2
234/9
25 (WBC)
LBD

In some cases, the name of the team will need to be truncated in order
to fit.  That's ok.  Growing the control height is not possible.

But I don't want to have to make the right-hand control wide enough to
cater to the widest possible score data.  This would mean reducing the
amount of space available for the team name, which in most practical
cases would restrict it much more than necessary. In other words, I
don't want to make *all* the team names narrow enough so that a score of
25(WBC) could be fitted in, when in most cases the score will be more
like 2 allowing a wider team name and possibly preventing truncating.
Hope that makes sense.

I have played with the idea of using fixed width font, and concatenating
the team and score into one control, with the requisitre number of
spaces in between to justify the text.  2 problems with this:  Fixed
width fonts generally take up more space anyway, for the same amount of
text.  And this report is output to PDF and for internet download, so
many users who will be trying to print it will not have that font installed.

So... what would you try?

Regards
Steve