[AccessD] Tele-conferencing

jwcolby jwcolby at colbyconsulting.com
Mon Aug 27 10:04:46 CDT 2007

I am working with a client where wee need to do some "tele-conferencing".  I
use that phrase lightly because what we really need is the ability to have
one to three people at his end working with me to work through design issues
and stuff.  They will use a projector to all watch a PC.  We are probably
going to completely rebuild or at least a major redesign of an old Access
app that I have been maintaining for them and which has enough issues to
warrant this effort.  It is a large application, it runs their business and
we need to have a "face to face" without me actually being there.  We do not
need to see each other i.e. it's not about cameras to see the person, I have
been to their business for several "long weekends" for real face to face
meetings, and in fact will probably go there again in the next couple of
months.

What we really need is remote control software and perhaps drawing or other
such things.  I have tried to use VNC into a system that they are logged in
to and it has never worked well for some reason.  It caused mouse control
issues, jerky mouse (neither of us could control it) and so forth.  I just
never resolved the why of that.  So we are looking for an alternative and
some reviews from folks that have used alternatives.  I guess (I have never
used it myself) programs like GoToMyPC.  It seems that there are several out
there.  I don't think that paying a reasonable fee per day / week would be
an issue though we don't need a license for a year or anything like that.

So has anyone out there used GoToMyPC or the like to do remote control of a
PC while the folks at the other end are watching?  They need to be able to
control it, as do I.

Ideas and recommendations?

John W. Colby
Colby Consulting