[AccessD] Need SMTP Code

Stuart McLachlan stuart at lexacorp.com.pg
Mon Aug 6 18:06:33 CDT 2007

On 6 Aug 2007 at 10:52, Rocky Smolin at Beach Access  wrote:

> Hmmm...A second endorsement for BLAT.
>
> So we've got BLAT, CDO, vbSendMail, and roll-your-own SMTP code.  Oh, and
> the Access object which I'll probably put in as an option for the user.
>
> Any additional votes or opinions welcome.  I've got a couple days work on
> other features before I have to make a decision on this one.

Make that a third endorsement for BLAT. I've got several automated
mailing systems using it, one of them sends out several thousand PDF
invoices monthly.

The DLL version is a "real" DLL which doesn't need to be registered,
just drop it in an appropriate location.

RWT CDO, Here's one quote I found on the web:

<quote>
CDO on the other hand, was the "heavy weight" MAPI focused email
automation
programming interface, that was primarily focused on desktop
applications
needing interface with the MAPI (ms mail application programming
interface)
mail system (i.e. the mail system that underlies Outlook by and
large).

CDO is not really in "vogue" now either. MS is moving toward SMTP as
the
standard mail protocol rather than MAPI, and LDAP as the standard
directory
interface for things like address books. On the 2000, XP and Server
2003
platforms, you can use the automation interface in what is called
CDOex to
send SMTP mail in a much more robust way than you could with CDONTS.
You
have to write your own code to build up multipart MIME email message
sections, but if all you want to do is send a plain text SMTP mail,
CDOex
is also pretty easy to use. CDOex, also requires an SMTP service to
be
running to function.

</quote>