[AccessD] OT Friday: Comodo AntiSpam

Bryan Carbonnell carbonnb at gmail.com
Sat Aug 11 07:01:27 CDT 2007

On 8/10/07, William Hindman <wdhindman at dejpolsystems.com> wrote:

> ...I'm with Gustav, the initial e-mail gave me a negative reaction ...but
> then, like you, I'm dependent on my ISP's filtering and its far from perfect
> so I'm open to anything that helps ...question is of course, does this
> really help or hinder in the long run?

Hinder. IMO. They are at best a waste of time and at worst a waste of
time and resources.

On some of the lists I belong to, if anyone got a C/R request you'd be
tossed unceremoniously to the curb and banned for life.

Not to mention the fact the extra waste of bandwidth that it uses by
sending them and the spoofed addresses. I know in a later e-mail JC
says that he never has received and blow back from a spoofed address,
but I got 7 since 1 am Friday night to 8 am Sat morning. That's 1 an
hour of spoofed email blowback that is readily apparent. I haven't
bothered to look at 55 that I got as bounces from the DBA mailinglist
and see which were real bounces and which were blowback. Most likely
more than 1/4 of them are blow back from spoofed addresses. Not
trivial.

I know there are zealots out there, but C/R systems puts the onus on
the sender for the recipients spam filtering. I don't know about the
rest of the world but I don't have enough time to do my stuff as it is
let alone someone elses.

Bryan Carbonnell - carbonnb at gmail.com
shouting "What a great ride!"