[AccessD] Access Front-End via Web Enabled

Steve Schapel miscellany at mvps.org
Thu Aug 16 15:59:09 CDT 2007

Julie,

Just to throw a couple other ideas into the ring.  Probably wouldn't
attract a lot of support from the mainstreamers, but I think merit
serious consideration.

1.  Export your database to SharePoint.  Would require moving your
application to Access 2007, and would require a learning curve, for
example replacing Referential Integrity with Workflows and so forth.  Of
course, this technology is still very much in its infancy, and some
limitations at the moment, but it is without doubt the way of the
future.  If you're talking about needing to invest time and effort into
learning new technology anyway, then have a look.  And if you're used to
the Replication idea, then Access/SharePoint offline data
synchronisation is already pretty nice.

2.  Depending on the number of concurrent users you are talking about
here.  But if the goal is to provide the users with remote operation, a
solution with the least amount of work could be Terminal Server.  You
wouldn't need to change your existing application much at all.  Or you
could look at WinConnect
http://www.thinsoftinc.com/product_thin_client_winconnect_server_xp.aspx,
which I am using with very good results.

Regards
Steve