[AccessD] Missing Issues Query

Susan Harkins ssharkins at gmail.com
Mon Aug 20 09:43:38 CDT 2007

Well, it sounds like a good article topic. ;)

Susan H.

Hi Susan

That was only to find the lowest "free" number, not all numbers.

I vote for Rocky's suggestion; browsing the list in code is probably the
simplest and fastest method. DAO is very fast for such operations.

/gustav

>>> ssharkins at gmail.com 18-08-2007 15:28 >>>
Seems like if they're in consecutive order, you could use an expression to
compare...

Gustav, if you see this, didn't we write about this? We used a form to find
missing values -- might be exactly what Bryan needs. If I can find it, I'll
send the article and example database to you Bryan.

Also, I know I've done this in reports -- finding holes in sequential
numbers.

Susan H.

Hi Bryan,
If I understand your problem correctly, you have entries only for those
issues you possess - there are no blank issue entries.  So, you will be
looking for a skip in the issue numbers or in the dates.  Aside from writing
something that meanders through all the dates or some combination of
volume-issue-date to see where the pattern breaks, would it work for you to
use a temporary date table with the dates that SHOULD all be there and use
that table with your issues table and do the outer join trick against it?
That would give you the dates that are missing and you could fill in the
appropriate volume and issue numbers by inspection.  Hope that helps a
little.
Tina