[AccessD] Interesting Laptop / Vista commentary

Jim Lawrence accessd at shaw.ca
Sun Dec 2 15:14:31 CST 2007

Hi Rocky:

That is the problem. There are no programs on Linux that can directly
translate or run MS Access. There are some conversion tools that can
translate the database to a MySQL DB and some apps that have very functional
forms, similar macros and even report writers but there is no complete
system...yet.

The other option is run the apps through WINE (http://www.winehq.org/) and
WineTools (http://www.von-thadden.de/Joachim/WineTools/)for setting up the
Windows environment. There is also CrossOver Office
(http://www.codeweavers.com). A friend who is a Mac (Which is just Linux)
fan runs all his application through Wine... It even runs his XP windows
OS.... Of course there is always VMWare which runs on Linux just fine.

Microsoft would do very well if they expanded their Office applications into
the Linux world even charging their standard rates. They should do it before
their competition produces a product as good. Even evolution of the database
applications on Linux are faster, better, with more features and having
better translation processes.

Jim