[AccessD] field limit in forms

Arthur Fuller fuller.artful at gmail.com
Fri Dec 7 16:28:41 CST 2007

You reminded me of an app I wrote for KPMG (at that time called Peat
Markwick), a fancy accounting firm in Canada. I wrote it and tested it and
delivered it and the first thing the boss did was a Cecil-Taylor style "hit
a hundred keys with your forearm", crashing his entire forearm upon the
keyboard. Literally! He banged down on the keyboard with his forearm,
hitting a few dozen keys simultaneously or if not simultaneously, then at
pretty close proximity). The app exploded, and he glanced askance at me,
implying that I was at fault for not anticipating this. I had the temerity
to ask, "How many alcoholics work for you?" This was an incorrect play. You
live, you laugh, you love, you learn (as another Canadian called Allanis
Morrisette might phrase it). Now I have a clause in my contracts, which says
"No amount of intelligence can anticipate the extent of users' stupidity."

I don't care what users want to do. I care what the specifications of the
job require. I work from Use Cases, and if the Users go beyond the
documented and agreed upon Use Cases, then all bets are off. The alternative
is, what if the user randomly crunches his forearm down in the middle of a
"File Save As" operation. I will not write code to defend against such
atrocities unless paid by the hour to do so, and even then, I'll quickly get
bored and abandon the operation. Even Microsoft doesn't defend against this.
For example, in the middle of a "Save As" operation, you happen to hit
Ctrl+Alt+Delete and then terminate the app. Is this my fault? If you think
so and can defend against it, you're a far better programmer than I, and I
will therefore retire and refer all my clients to you.

A.