[AccessD] Volta (was: OT: FrontPage Websites)

Gustav Brock Gustav at cactus.dk
Tue Dec 18 08:08:03 CST 2007

Hi Drew et al

Also note initiatives like the Volta project for creating multi-tier web applications at "a click of a button" in VS2008:

  http://labs.live.com/volta/

/gustav

>>> shamil at users.mns.ru 15-12-2007 21:15 >>>
Drew,

I'd evaluate that VB.NET/C# program would be two times and sometimes just
20% the size (in code lines) of the similar functionality VB6 program: I did
program a lot on VB6 for money during last years - and I'm so happy I do not
need to do that now at all...

And this is not inheritance, which makes this difference...

Just talking from my experience - try VB.NET (better C# as the main
development language and VB.NET when you'll need late binding) - I can bet
you'll soon forget VB6 as a "nightmare" - I'd call the times of VBA and VB6
as "dark ages" promoted by MS and that "ancient" times when VBA only started
to get widespread use and VB was only in its VB4 version (no custom classes
AFAIKR) this world have had Java already - and C# has got a lot from Java
and brought many new features - just partial classes are so convenient for
business programming when one have quite some code generated and can add
custom functionality by using partial classes and regenerate "heap" stuff
painlessly when data model changes etc...

There are so many productivity tools for C#/VB.Net one have never seen for
VB6...

Etc.

--
Shamil