[AccessD] Sort Order of a Table

William Hindman wdhindman at dejpolsystems.com
Mon Dec 24 15:41:16 CST 2007

...tables themselves have no "default" sort order, reflecting only the order
in which each record was originally entered unless you set a specific sort
order for it ...those of us who use ANs as our primary keys often assume
that a table is automatically sorted by its primary key but that is not the
case ...the AN reflects the record entry order, not the table sort order
...setting a different pk will quickly show you the reality.

...when you create a form or report based on a table or query, it
automatically inherits the sort order of the source ...if you create it
based on an open source, the current sort order of the source is inherited
by it ...if the source is not open when you create the form or report, the
saved sort order is inherited by it ...there are of course, limitations
...the form or report inherits the source sort order only if it is based
upon a single table, else you have to set the Order By yourself.

...probably clear as mud, but its xmas eve, eh :)

William