[AccessD] WHS and backups

jwcolby jwcolby at colbyconsulting.com
Thu Dec 27 10:04:27 CST 2007

Gary,

That is correct.  You can create "shared" folders, and any shared folder can
be duplicated.

I bought WHS (built my own using an OEM copy) for two things.  The first was
to nail down once and for all the backup of my pictures.  The fury of a
mother hath no equal when you lose a couple of hundred pictures of her
little darlings.  WHS manages this quite effectively.

I also want to use it to manage automated backups of every computer in the
house.  WHS also manages that very effectively.  They have a service that
installs on each computer that performs the backups in the middle of the
night, and the amount of data backed up is "compressed" due to the very cool
technology that they employ.  You can tell it to keep daily backups for 90
days, weekly backups for 52 weeks and monthly backups for 120 months.  By
default it is something like dailies for 3 days, weeklies for 3 weeks and
monthlies for 3 months, something like that.  That makes perfect sense,
allowing you to restore back to a point in time just like the Windows XP
"snapshots" do.  The restore works, I can attest to this because I had to
change the hard disk in my laptop and it "just worked", installing on the
new disk and booting right up once I fixed a technical issue of my own
causing.  I have also seen testaments from other users about restoring back
to (some time period) just by running the restore and selecting the time.
One guy clicked an email hotlink and INSTANTLY infected his system, all
kinds of crap happening.  He finally remembered that he had this wonderful
restore, restored to the previous day and voila, no more virus.

So, I WANT that capability.  I am a one man show and I NEED to be able to
get my servers, my dev machine or my wife's laptop back up and running if a
drive dies or something unexpected happens, WITHOUT spending hours doing so.
I have spent days restoring all of the software that I have installed on my
systems when a crash happened.  it is just incredible how much stuff we end
up with, and just trying to remember what it all is can be a major
undertaking.

So photo backup is the selling point to the wife, backup / restore is my
personal reason for WHS.

Unfortunately all the backup information is lost if the main hard disk dies
in WHS.  For some reason that info is stored on the main drive and is NOT
duplicated.  Stupid really, but that is just reality at the moment.  With
luck they will listen to those of us pinging on them about just how stupid
it is and fix it but for now if you want that capability, then RAID is the
answer.  Make the boot drive at least raid 1, or better yet just make a huge
raid 5 / 6 volume and let WHS use that to install the system and the
storage.

Once you have raid, I think the "file duplication" is no longer useful and
just takes up space for a data protection that is now handled by the raid
itself.

PC backup is so critical to me, and WHS does such a good job of the backup /
restore, that I am going to do raid and reinstall WHS on it so that I can
have that peace of mind.

John W. Colby
Colby Consulting